To view information about each location individually, just click on the links in the text below.
Today's challenges make us a better company tomorrow.
Since the early days of the 1900's, Central Iowa farmers knew they needed a place to market their grain for a fair price. Now, over 100 years later, Heartland Co-op has evolved into the cooperative it is today with its 63 locations providing products and services to its farmer members/patrons.
At each benchmark during the past 100 years, Heartland Co-op looked at the future needs of its members and chose growth over stagnation. The old, original elevators served the needs of those turn-of-the-century farmers who unified in order to put some clout in their grain marketing. We're still doing everything we can to give Heartland-area farmers a voice in the future of agriculture.
History of Mergers and Acquisitions
The "original" Heartland Co-op was formed in 1987 with a merger of three cooperatives with facilities in Panora, Dallas Center, Minburn and Granger. Panora Farmers Cooperative was formed in 1947. Farmers Cooperative Company of Dallas Center was formed in 1919. Minburn had been a private elevator until it became Minburn Cooperative Elevator in 1945. Minburn purchased a private agronomy plant located at Granger in 1986. In a 1991 merger, Booneville Cooperative Elevator Company (a cooperative formed in 1949) was added through a merger. In the following year, 1992, Laverty Elevators (a private elevator) in Indianola, was purchased.
In July of 2006 Central Iowa Cooperative (CIC), with locations in Jewell, Randall and Stanhope, voted to be part of the strong organization of Heartland Co-op. CIC began operations in Jewell in 1908 as the Jewell Farmers Elevator Company and reorganized in 1945 with a new name of Jewell Cooperative Elevator Co. On April 1, 1975, a merger with the Farmers Cooperative Elevator of Stanhope was incorporated under the new name of Central Iowa Cooperative (CIC). In 1976 CIC purchased the Cargill Elevator and business in Stanhope and in 1996 the Farmers Coop Grain Company of Randall was merged into CIC. In 2002 CIC purchased the business and facilities of Farm Service Co. of Jewell.
On July 1, 2007, Central Counties Cooperative, Reinbeck and Heartland Co-op, West Des Moines merged. Heartland Co-op increased sales revenue and employee base - our 41 locations now included Gilman, Grundy Center, Holland, Kellogg, Laurel, Lincoln, Newburg, Pickering, Reinbeck, Traer and Washburn.
The following year on February 1, 2008, the Farmers 4-County Cooperative of Belle Plaine became part of Heartland Co-op through a merger. The merger of Farmers 4-County Cooperative has added nearly 5,289,000 bushels of permanent grain storage to Heartland Co-op with these seven locations. These seven additional locations included Belle Plaine, Blairstown, Chelsea, Elberon, Hartwick, Luzerne, and Marengo.
In July of 2010 the acquisitions of four previously owned Roorda operations were acquired in Newton, Monroe, Prairie City West and Runnells by Heartland Co-op. This added another 4 M bushels of storage to the Heartland Co-op overall portfolio.
On December 29, 2010, Heartland Co-op purchased Grainco, Inc. which is located in Dexter, IA. This investment added 2,800,000 bushel of grain storage capacity as well as bagged feed offerings
On September 1, 2013, Heartland Co-op welcomed Farm Service Company (FSC) to its ever-expanding trade territory. With this merger, Heartland Co-op was able to operate out of 11 new locations, including: Logan, Missouri Valley, Neola, Council Bluffs, Treynor, Silver City, Henderson, Pacific Junction, Malvern, Randolph, and Sidney.
In summary, there have been many changes as we reflect upon the past. We expect this trend to continue, but at a much faster pace. Heartland Co-op will do its best to meet and exceed their members' and customers' expectations.